In 1982, two pioneering women, Maryanna Hatch of Durham and Rosemary Coffin of Exeter, gathered a group of Seacoast-area residents around a kitchen table. Their goal was to create a community where active, engaged adults could enjoy their lives and friends, and have the security of quality health care, if and when it was ever needed. They created RiverWoods, which opened its first campus in Exeter in 1994.
Today, RiverWoods Exeter is nationally accredited, comprised of three campuses on 200 acres, and has set a new standard for senior living, with unprecedented demand from those seeking an active and independent lifestyle. What started as a bold concept has grown into one of the most trusted senior living organizations in New England.
Strong Financials and Industry Leader
In 2012, The RiverWoods Group was created to further the mission of Maryanna and Rosemary. In 2016, RiverWoods Manchester joined the RiverWoods Group as an affiliate. The RiverWoods Group has earned an excellent reputation as a smart and strong family of non-profit communities. The organization continues to grow thoughtfully and maintain strong occupancy while consistently outperforming industry benchmarks.
The mission of the RiverWoods Group is to bring this way of life to as many people as possible. Our newest affiliate will be fittingly located in Durham, home of RiverWoods Exeter co-founder Maryanna Hatch, on eleven acres off Route 108 on Stone Quarry Drive. The Durham campus opened in November 2019, and this charitable not-for-profit Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) will build upon the tradition of the RiverWoods Group’s reputation for providing award-winning senior living.
Learn more about the group and explore the Consolidated Financial Statements for RiverWoods.
What is the RiverWoods Group Advantage?
- Founded by New Hampshire residents
- Nationally accredited by CCAC-CARF
- Member of the largest independent not-for-profit CCRC family of communities in New Hampshire
- An independent organization – we control our own destiny
- Sustainable, three-legged stool “Residents, Board, and Staff”
- A long history of financial stability
- Residents hold voting seats on the Board of Trustees
- Estate preservation – 70% refundable entrance fee
- Predictable and discounted health care fees
- Non-smoking, pet-friendly campus
- Not-for-profit charitable organization
- All private rooms, in all levels of health care